Update 7/09/12: And now they are done. I like the way the turned out more better this time. And they fit. Perfectly.
Not quite the same as the first, but "Do Over" is such a depressing name for a project. Halfway through the second sock, I (a) didn't really like the pattern and (b) realized they were going to be too bloody big.
Cascade Fixation stretches. A LOT. So I frogged and started over. (Yes, that IS why I am called Rana Catesbeiana, at least in part. I generally frog everything at least once.)
The pattern I'm using instead is Hermione's Everyday Socks by Erica Lueder. More or less.
Gauge is 24 stitches/36 rows = 4” on U.S. 2 needles.
Cast on = 48 stitches
Cuff = 18 rows; k3, p1 rib
Leg = 40 rows; in pattern
Heel = 18 rows; eye of partridge, with slip stitch, p1 edges
Gusset = pick up 10 stitches on each side
Foot = 36 rows (plus gusset decreases, so 58 in all)
Toe = 24 rows (decreasing to 16 stitches)
The four stitch, four row pattern breaks up the pooling of the clown barf quite nicely. I’m using a k3, p1 rib for the cuff, a heel flap, paired decreases for the toe, grafting to bind off.
If you want help figuring out the number of stitches/rows for various parts in a different yarn/size/gauge, leave a comment and let me know.
I'll keep the notes and pics from the first verse for the record, but the sock and a half are no more. They are expired. They are ex-socks.
* * * * *
Version One, nicknamed 5 x 5, circa 4/20/12
When the character Faith from the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer is asked how she is, she answers, "five by five." It comes from old radio slang, and pretty much means, "all is well." I don't know if that actually describes these socks (well, it didn't actually describe Faith either) but the pattern repeat is five stitches by five rows, and I like it.
And it's clown barf! which is always well.
I had a couple of criteria in mind when designing these socks. Two yarns, one plain and one not so plain had to play nice together. Cascade fixation is a bit of a challenge for a sock, because it's fairly substantial, and rather textured at the same time. I ganked the cuff pattern from Columbia by Catherine Gamroth. I didn't think the abrupt change from the pattern to stockinette would work with my two sibling yarns, so I kept a repeat of it winding down the heel, while smoothing a variation into the foot.
I had planned to make the toe in lime green also, but that yarn was in another room and the Atlanta Braves were winning. I didn't want to stop knitting or watching, either one. I may put a green toe on the second sock, we shall see.
All is well, and all is well, and all manner of things will be well.
I'm using roughly 90 grams of Cascade Fixation or similar DK/8 ply yarn, and U.S. size 4 (3.5 mm) needles. One at a time, magic loop.
Gauge = 5.5 stitches/8 rows to the inch, more or less.
Pattern and more pics to follow.
(Edit to update: or not. If I try again with different yarn, I'll write a new post.)